Sauerkraut Check-in

Tried the second batch of kraut and it turned out okay. I left it in for four weeks this time and unfortunately there was some mold situation during the last week. Apparently you can scratch it off or remove that layer and, sure enough, the kraut was totally fine. However, the thing stank up the whole apartment and it looked and smelled gnarly.

I’m not sure what the problem was; a lot of the liquid evaporated very quickly for some reason and adding some water probably caused the problem.

It’s still too salty for my taste, so I’ll reduce the amount again for the next batch.

Advertisements

Another batch with some adjustments

kraut2

After I could not control myself anymore and ended up eating my first batch after about two weeks I made another one with some adjustments this weekend. First of all, I used two heads of cabbage instead of one. I was surprised how little yield one head gives you (not even a fourth of the jar), so I thought two would be just fine. I used one red and one white cabbage, to get a nice color.

I also used a lot less salt. The original recipe called for one tablespoon per pound (I think), which roughly ended up being four tablespoons for one cabbage, and it turned out to be way too salty for my taste. So this time I used five tablespoons for two heads of cabbage, which still pulled out plenty of liquid. I also left out the mustard seeds, mostly because I wanted to see what the kraut would taste like without any additional spices and the mustard turned the first batch surprisingly spicy.

Let’s hope I can keep my hands off of this batch for four weeks this time.