comment 0

Another batch with some adjustments

kraut2

After I could not control myself anymore and ended up eating my first batch after about two weeks I made another one with some adjustments this weekend. First of all, I used two heads of cabbage instead of one. I was surprised how little yield one head gives you (not even a fourth of the jar), so I thought two would be just fine. I used one red and one white cabbage, to get a nice color.

I also used a lot less salt. The original recipe called for one tablespoon per pound (I think), which roughly ended up being four tablespoons for one cabbage, and it turned out to be way too salty for my taste. So this time I used five tablespoons for two heads of cabbage, which still pulled out plenty of liquid. I also left out the mustard seeds, mostly because I wanted to see what the kraut would taste like without any additional spices and the mustard turned the first batch surprisingly spicy.

Let’s hope I can keep my hands off of this batch for four weeks this time.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s