Alright, as I have a much wider variety of beers and breweries to choose from I started the project of trying as many Winter Warmers/Winter Ales as possible this winter. I have to admit that, unfortunately, my favorite Winter Warmer, Harpoon’s, is not available over here. It’s a bummer. I’ll update this as I go along. Also make sure to check out Jackalope’s guest post on Winter Warmers!
Here’s the story so far;
- BiFrost (Elysian) ★★☆☆☆ All beers by Elysian taste more or less the same to me; kind of hoppy, but pretty thin.
- American Winter Ale ★☆☆☆☆ Couldn’t figure out the brewery and it seemed to be called just that. Not too great.
- Snow Cap (Pyramid) ★☆☆☆☆ The first one I tried this winter. I expected more spices, but I got a beer that was bitter as fuck. I brought it to a party and, after I tried one, left it for the others to ‘enjoy’.
- Winter Lager (Samuel Adams) ★★★★★ Sam Adams usually is an okay-beer, nothing to write home about, but I love their Winter Ale. It has pumpkin spice in it (I think), is not too sweet, not too bitter, and tastes great after a cold walk to the bar.
- Celebration (Sierra Nevada) ★★★☆☆ Also one of the bitter ones, but, frankly, you can’t be wrong with choosing a Sierra.
- Fireside Chat (Fremont Brewery) ★★★☆☆ A dark ale that’s surprisingly smooth and wintery. I’m not a fan of dark beers, but this is a good one.
- Winter Ale (Alaskan) ★★★★☆ It’s brewed with spruce tips!!! Need I say more?
- Powder Hound (Deschutes Brewing Company) ★★☆☆☆ Meh. Sorry, but that’s all I can say.
- Wassail Winter Ale (Full Sail) ★★☆☆☆ Not too bad, one of the more complex ones. It’s a relatively dark ale, but still pretty nice and not too overpowering. Strong, too.
- Christmas Ale (Limited Release) (Samuel Adams) ★★☆☆☆ A white ale brewed with spices. Interesting. I’m not a fan of wheat beers, so this is not bad, but it still tastes, well, a wheat beer with spices.
- Holiday Porter (Samuel Adams) ★★☆☆☆ A porter that’s so porter-y that it doesn’t seem festive at all. No idea why it’s the holiday porter. But I’m not one to talk to about porters, so what do I know.
- Christmas Ale (Anchor Brewing) ★★★★★ Damn, I don’t even know what to say. I don’t even know how to explain this one. Fuck, it’s great! Maybe not for everyday, but damn. This is really something.
- Old Fezziwig Ale (Samuel Adams) ★★☆☆☆ Not sure about this. It’s an ale, it’s wintery, but honestly it’s not that different from a lot of other winter ales and doesn’t stand out.
Still to come:
- Sleigh’r (Ninkasi)
- Wreck the Halls (Full Sail)
- …and all the others I can get my grubby hands on whose names I don’t know. Yet.