Now that the temperature has finally gone down to a very agreeable I feel much more inclined to cook again, now that I’m not cooking anymore (Hö hö). Last weekend I made a spinach soup again.
Not a big fan of spinach, me, but this is a really nice take on that plant. The recipe is from a book called Vegetable Love. I’ve changed some small parts about it, like the amount of butter and substituting the H&H for cream, because this friend has to watch his waistline.
One 10 oz. package of frozen spinach
6 cups broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
½ cups sliced scallions (I always forget to buy those. I used a medium-sized onion instead)
½ tsp. minced garlic (I guess this is one clove)
2 tbs. butter
1 medium potato, sliced (the recipe says floury but I use whatever I have)
½ cup Half & Half
¼ tsp. hot pepper sauce
juice of ¾ lemon
1 tbs. salt
pepper to taste
- Cook the frozen spinach in ½ cup of the broth until defrosted
- cook the scallions (onion) & garlic in the butter for 10 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Add the remaining broth, potato, H&H, hot sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the potatoes are soft, ca. 15-25 minutes.
- Puree the entire thing until it has the consistency (and looks!) of Matcha.
Now eat it! Popeye will be proud of you!